Monday, February 15, 2010

Grand Slam in the Consolation only 2nd best, doh!

After my run in the TOC, the main torunament in Reno was a rocky one. I played poorly, losing a few games I shouldn't have, and finished 1 game from qualifying with a 25/12 card.

The consolation was a new day, and I ran the table for my second grand slam ever (the other was in Grass Roots ~7 years ago), with a nice 19/9 +161 card.

Unlike the TOC, where I didn't expect to be high qualifier, I felt pretty good about my chances to be high qualifier in 2 of the 3 biggest cribbage tournaments of the year.

Alas, it wasn't to be, as I lost to a strange card. Roger Widdowson of Colorado had a 21/8 card. Unlike me, he didn't win them all, but he had 5 (not a typo) skunks in his 8 wins.

I was second highest qualifier, and got a bye. I beat Jill Warren and Lewis Skidmore before getting outcarded in game 3 against Bob Kiley (I was down ~80-30 at one point) to go out in the fourth round, with a 17th-32nd place finish.

I added 64 master points to my total, bringing me to 1,644 points lifetime. I'm closing in on Joe Wergin!

The $650 I pulled from the Q and plyoff pools brought my weekend total to $3,000. Not bad for 3 days of fun!!

In total, I won 49 games and dropped 22. (68%)

TOC Qualifying 13-3
TOC Playoffs 10-6
Main Qualifying 12-10
Cons Qualifying 9-0
Cons Playoffs 5-3

Tonight is Grass Roots. I'm sure I'll win 2 out of 9!

No comments:

Post a Comment